BioCellection – Chemical Recycling

BioCellection – Chemical Recycling

BioCellection is an advanced recycling technology company based in California. Globally, only 9% of plastics are recycled.  The remaining 91% goes to landfills, incinerators, or ends up in the ocean because of poor waste management practices.  There is a huge gap in the market for a company that could close the “plastic life cycle” by turning dirty plastics into virgin materials.

 

A Novel Chemical Route

Polyethylene is an abundant plastic commonly found in plastic bags and many consumables such as shampoo bottles. However, even though this is the most produced plastic globally at over 100 million metric tons a year.  There is no recycling market for this material. BioCellection is confronting this issue by creating recycling avenues for these waste plastics that don’t have markets. By inventing a new chemical process to tackle plastic waste. The chemical reaction starts with the breaking down of waste polyethylene from long-chain polymers to short-chain chemical compounds. The purified short-chain chemicals are the building blocks for higher value materials. These materials can make polyurethane and nylon.

Potential Markets

Everything from the soles of shoes to various parts for cars. There are also many biodegradable applications, for example, absorbent polymers that can go into making hygiene products and nappies (diapers).

Through the conversion of the cheapest plastic which does not have a feasible route for recycling into higher value building blocks. BioCellection’s advanced recycling methods would be an industry leader with the potential to rectify a worldwide crisis.

Edit on 16/02/2021: – Biocellection was rebranded as Novoloop in 2020.

Feature Image:

Synthetic organic chemistry fumehood
Synthesis. Image: Maximilian Paradiz | (CC BY 2.0) | Flickr

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

This Post Has One Comment

Leave a Reply

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

Pages of interest

You Might Also Like

Circuits conductive

Draw Circuits with Conductive Ink

Circuits and Conductive Materials Electrical and electronics are complicated subjects to grasp and implement for a majority of people. The reason even self-build home projects

Edible Water

Edible Water Ooho by Notpla

In 2013, Skipping Rocks Lab start up created Ooho an edible water “bottle”. Ooho’s peelable membrane comprises algae (brown seaweed) mixed with calcium and water. 

App Detects Mosquito

App Detects Mosquito

Over 700,000 people die from mosquito-borne diseases every year. There are over 3,500 species of mosquitoes. Dengue fever, chikungunya, yellow fever and Zika are all

Reforestation

Reforestation – Land Life

Fires, drought and harsh weather conditions cause damage to millions of hectares of land every year. Reforestation techniques are essential to combat this problem. Land

Speed light

Slowing Down the Speed of Light

The astronomer Ole Rømer first demonstrated the speed of light in 1676. “A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field” by James Clerk Maxwell showed how

3D Printing PPE personal protective equipment

3D Printing PPE and Isinnova

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) PPE is any protective garment or equipment designed to protect the wearer’s body from injury or infection.  This can include protective

Zai pit Sahel Sorghum

Zai Pit System

Zai Pits are a longstanding and well-documented tradition in the Sahel region, specifically in the north of Burkina Faso.  Zai Pit System are “planting pockets”

You Might Also Like

Solektra Solar

Solektra

Solektra provide various effective solutions for rural communities across Africa.

O-Wind Dandelion

O-Wind Turbine

The O-Wind multidirectional turbine spins on a single axis but can harness